Pastor Bruening's Message
“Growing in Our Ability to be
Effective Witnesses to Our Faith”
Summary of Our Focus on Witnessing:
1. Always begin with prayer.
2. List the unchurched people about whom you are concerned and lift
their names daily in prayer.
3. Practice speaking your personal testimony about what Jesus means
4. Check your testimony to make certain it gives glory to Jesus and
is not just a recitation of all that you have done.
5. Let a trusted fellow Christian listen to your testimony and allow
them the opportunity to give you feedback both on the content and
6. Be aware of the timing of your approach. If they are going
through a time of difficulty, let them share with you what they are
experiencing and then tell how your faith has helped you through
your times of difficulty.
7. Rely on the Holy Spirit to give you the right words say. Remember
Jesus’ promise: “When you are arrested [or are in a difficult
situation], don’t worry about what you will say. You will be given
the right words when the time comes. But you will not really be the
ones speaking. Your words will come from the Holy Spirit.” Pray
silently: “Holy Spirit, help me. Give me the words to say.”
8. Learn from the personal witness of the man born blind who
remained persistent - “All I know is that I once was blind and now I
see and Jesus gave me my sight.”
9. Be aware that we take risks when we share our faith. It may not
be received well and may be rejected.
10. Always remember that your strength comes from Jesus Christ and
guidance comes from the Holy Spirit.
11. While witnessing involves some risk, we all have the assurance
of God’s love and forgiveness and a confidence in our eternal
destiny in heaven.